Ethernet has withstood the test of time to become the most widely adopted networking technology in the world. With the rising dependency on networks and the increasing number of bandwidth-intensive applications, corporate organizations seek higher capacity networking solutions that simplify and reduce the total cost of network connectivity, thus permitting profitable service differentiation, while maintaining very high levels of reliability.
One Gigabit Ethernet is the natural evolution of the well-established IEEE 802.3* standard in speed and distance. Ethernet's proven value set and economics to wide area networks by providing:
- Potentially lowest total cost-of-ownership (infrastructure/operational/human capital).
- Straight-forward migration to higher performance levels.
- Proven multi-vendor and installed-base interoperability (Plug and Play).
- More than 90% of all data traffic originates or terminates as Ethernet traffic. There are currently more than 350 million Ethernet LAN nodes in service.
- Access speeds range from 1 Mb/s up to 1000 Mb/s, and bandwidth is easily scalable on an "as needed" basis in 1 Mb/s increments.
- PrimeTel is deploying fast Ethernet and gigabit Ethernet across our fiber-optic networks.
- Business customers are pushing for Ethernet services as a more cost-efficient and effective alternative to existing networking options.
PrimeTel delivers to customers via Ethernet a very scalable and flexible, high-speed connection to the Internet. Our fiber network enables PrimeTel to provide both the local transport as well as the IP backbone on its own facilities. Through a variety of billing options, PrimeTel customers pay only for the bandwidth they need while maintaining the ability to gain immediate access to greater amounts of bandwidth.